Sierra’s Chocolate Cupcakes
These are my favourite cupcakes in the entire world. I love it when my mum makes them for us and now I learnt how to make them with her. They are best during teatime with a nice hot cup of Sri Lankan tea. Mum says using cacao powder makes these cupcakes more chocolatey.
Ingredients – Cupcakes
- 95g plain flour
- ¾ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 100g caster sugar
- 100g light brown sugar
- 80ml vegetable oil
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 120ml buttermilk
- 42g cacao powder (You can buy this from any ‘health’ section at the supermarket or organic food store)
Ingredients – Buttercream frosting
- 230g unsalted butter
- 420g icing sugar
- 45g cacao powder
- 20ml vanilla essence
Instructions – Cupcakes
- Get some help from a grown-up and preheat your oven to 170ºC and make sure it is in the best setting for baking cakes and not your grill setting.
- Get your cupcake baking pan ready with cupcake liners.
- In a large bowl, mix all the flour, cacao powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt together (I will call this the dry ingredients). Then, sift it once or twice and set aside.
- Take a glass bowl and whisk the eggs gently – not too much.
- Add all the caster sugar, light brown sugar, oil and vanilla extract to the eggs and stir together until it is completely smooth (I will call this my wet ingredients).
- Now comes the tricky bit, pour half of the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients bowl. Then, add half of the buttermilk into the same bowl. Mix everything well until combined. 7. Repeat this with the rest of your wet ingredients and buttermilk and mix well. Be careful not to over mix the ingredients because your cupcakes will not be fluffy if you do. 8. Pour the batter into the cupcake liners and fill only half way. Then, bake them in the oven for 18 minutes. Take them out and let them cool off before decorating with lots of yummy frosting.
Instructions – Buttercream frosting
- Get a bowl and mix the cacao powder and icing sugar together. Then, sift them 2 times.
- With some help from a grown-up, use the standing cake mixer and beat the butter on high speed for 5 mins.
- Add half of the dry ingredients and beat for 3 mins. Then, add the rest and beat for another 5 mins on the cake mixer.
- Finally, add the vanilla essence and beat for 1 minute. Now your frosting is done and you can decorate the cupcakes any way you like.
I hope you enjoy them as much as I do – happy baking!
Ingredients for 6 servings 2 large yellow onions, roughly chopped ⅓ cup vegetable oil (80 mL), plus 2 tablespoons, divided…View recipe