Basil Pesto Stars
You know those times in between meals when you are desperate for a snack? Or those times you open your lunch box and its the same old thing for recess? And you go to the cupboard to grab a muesli bar or biscuit and you get told to ‘have something healthy’ … well, here’s a nice little solution.
They’re called Basil Pesto Stars – they’re super easy to prepare – yummy to eat and will tide you over until dinner time as a healthy alternative snack to some of the other (sugary!) goodies you might have in your pantry.
60g softened butter
2 tbs basil pesto
2 sheets ready-rolled puff pastry (thawed)
Star shaped cookie cutter (about 5cm)
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees C.
2. Mix the butter and pesto together in a small bowl.
3. Spread the mixture over the puff pastry sheets evenly. Make sure you go right to the edges!
4. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
5. Use the cookie cutter to cut the pastry into star shapes and arrange on a tray lined with baking paper.
6. Bake until puffed and crispy (about 10 mins).
I Can Do It All By Myself: 4/5 (be careful with the knife/cookie cutter and handling hot trays out of the oven!)
Likelihood Your Brother Will Eat All Of Them Before They’ve Even Cooled Down: 4/5
Chances School Mates Will Want To Swap Snacks At Recess: 5/5
Rosie’s Tip of the Day
Make sure you line up the stars as close together as possible to get the most out of your puff pastry sheet. The crispy bits are the best, so you can also bake up the left over scraps to eat as a snack!
Do you have a recipe for Rosie to try? Email it through to [email protected].